ebian can be installed both on a computer and a VM.
- A bootable image of debian10-suite-amd64-x.iso is available on DVD or USB stick.
- Start debian10-suite-amd64-x.iso. Depending on the BIOS setting, it may be necessary to launch the boot menu using a function key in order to be able to boot from the installation medium.
- Select Graphical Install.
- Select a language. Keep in mind that the server and client must use the same language settings, since the language of the Debian system influences the Operator Log and parts of the user interface.
- Follow the instructions on the screen and configure the following settings:
- Time zone
- Keyboard layout
- Continue with the network configuration:
- If the dialog box for the network configuration is not displayed, click Go Back and configure the network manually. For more information refer to: Configuring the Network Manually.
- If the dialog box is displayed, select the primary network. If more than one network interface is available, you must choose one.
Perform the network configuration manually and use the static IP addresses.
- If the installation routine detects that a DHCP server is available, you have the following options:
- To accept the automatic network configuration, click Continue.
- To configure the network manually, click Go Back and continue with the configuration of the network manually.
- If the installation routine detects that no DHCP server is available, choose the Yes option and continue with the configuration of the network manually.
- To perform the network configuration manually, complete the following steps:
- Select Configure network manually.
- Enter the IP address with the subnet mask of your computer.
- Enter a gateway address.
- Delete the address of the DNS server.
The site name results from the hostname. Make sure that the hostname does not contain double-hyphens, full stops, spaces or uppercase letters.
- Enter a hostname. If the hostname has to be changed afterwards, refer to: Regenerating Server Certificates in Installation.
- Leave the domain name field blank.
- Continue with the user set up:
- Enter a password for the root user account.
- Choose a strong password. The password needs to meet the IT security requirements.
- Store the password at a secure location, since the installation must be performed again if the password is lost.
The username must not commence with an uppercase letter.
- Configure a user account to be able to copy data to the computer using SCP or WinSCP for example. Follow the instructions on the screen.
- Enter a password.
- Continue with the disk partitioning:
- Follow the instructions on the screen and select the following options:
- Select Guided - use entire disk.
- Select the hard disk.
Make sure not to select the USB stick, since installation then is no longer possible due to the USB stick being partitioned.
- Select All files in one partition (recommended for new users).
- Select an installation location for the boot loader.
- Remove the data medium.
- The system is restarted.
- The Debian installation is complete.